Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Our Body = Works Of Art


This comes from Queer Theology's Daily Affirmation. But I felt like writing about it as a blog because the questions are amazing along with the quote.

  The human body is the best work of art. -Jess C. Scott

This quote brings up in me a remembrance of the fact that God, Herself, enjoyed creating us all. She took her time knitting us together and creating us. God created every single queer/trans/nonbinary person and breathed their precious life into them. She gave Her Holy Spirit to each of us to be housed in this temple we call a human body.

I don't know if I see my body as a work of art itself. Quite honestly - there is crap about my body that I really dislike. But I guess this goes along with being in a second puberty, ya know? I didn't like puberty the first time around so why on earth would I expect myself to enjoy every aspect of puberty.

The works of art within my body that I do enjoy -

*my voice cracking and squeaking because my voice is changing and becoming deeper
*my hips going away due to male fat redistribution
Plus I enjoy the four pieces of artwork that are on my body too. Artwork on top of artwork. Building a masterpiece! I have four tattoos that I consider each a piece of artwork.

Tattoo One: a infinity symbol with a two-shade purple heart. LIFE GOES ON AS LONG AS YOU HAVE HEART OR LOVE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT.

Tattoo Two: semicolon. MY QUEER/TRANS STORY ISN'T OVER YET!

Tattoo Three: phoenix in fire colors. I RISE OUT OF THE ASHES OF MY PAST CIRCUMSTANCES.

Tattoo Four: archangel wings with stars, a single one with no name in yellow and then each of my biological name in their own star. THE STARS REPRESENT THE ACRONYM S.T.A.R.S. (Siblings That Are Really Special). THE EMPTY YELLOW STAR AND ARCHANGEL WINGS REPRESENT THE ANGELS IN MY LIFE WATCHING OVER MY LIVING KIDDOS.

Being queer and trans has definitely changed my relationship with my body. I did not love my body before starting hormone replacement therapy and I'm not quite there yet. But I can tell you that because of hormone replacement therapy - I am beginning to love my body more than I have in the past. I am slowly becoming more comfortable in my own skin as I see the changes that happen with HRT.

God, Herself, meant for us to love our bodies, ourselves, our neighbors and herself the very best we can. Sometimes in order for some of us to start loving our bodies (the first step towards loving ourselves) we need HRT and other gender confirming surgeries. The United Methodist Church always emphasize when giving the Eucharist that we are to love God, ourselves and our neighbors the very best we can. I believe that in order to do those three things urged upon us each time we partake of the Eucharist - it begins with loving our bodies and seeing them as a work of Her art.

MAY THE PEACE OF CHRIST BE WITH YOU,



Brian Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment